Wednesday, October 20, 2010

San Diego.....................NOT!





So we were suppose to go to San Diego last week on October 11. We were all so excited because it has been 2 years since our last vacation. The bags were packed and loaded in the van, everything was completely paid for and then.... We had all been fighting a cold, Sydney had it the worst because of her asthma so I was a little worried about our vacation. Sydney was at the doctor a few times to try to get her asthma and an ear infection under control. I even had them check out Hayden because she was sick too and why not we were already there. Sydney was started on some new asthma medication (a round of oral steroids, Asthmanex - an inhaled steroid, increased frequency on the albuterol, and more antibiotics for the ear), and Hayden checked out fine, just an virus. Then on sunday Hayden started crawling funny and she had a fever. I kind of blew it off because she pulls herself up on everything and thought maybe she had a bruise from falling. By monday morning she was febrile for the 3rd day and would not crawl at all at this point. OK now I'm nervous. I would put her down and she tried to crawl, then just sat back down and cried. So instead of leaving at 6 am like planned I was on the phone with the on call nurse. Should we go to the ER or wait for the office to open. The not crawling thing freaked me out. The nurse said we should be ok to wait, so off to the peds we went. Now this is when I really got freaked out. The Dr was saying stuff like septic arthritis (bad joint infection requiring surgery), and a multitude of other infections that were an even higher possibility because Hayden is not up to date on her immunizations (insert a huge amount of mommy guilt here). He told us no California that he wanted to see her the next day and if her fever hit 103 or she was acting lethargic, that we needed to go to the ER. So after trying to explain things to a very disappointed 4 year old, Sydney and I went to Toys R Us to try to make up for it a little, and my mom went home with Hayden. By the time we got home an hour and a half later, Hayden's temp was 103 an hour after motrin. So off we went to the ER. By the time we got there about 45 minutes later her temp was 104.6. Wow. They were wonderful to us at PCH and we got right into a room. The doctor didn't think it was septic arthritis because kids with that are in an extreme amount of pain and Hayden was just tender on examination. Yeah! They did a bunch of labs and started an IV (3 heart wrenching pokes with her screaming with the first 2 and so worn out she slept through the 3rd). After some IV antibiotics we got to go home with a diagnosis of .....a febrile illness. Seriously. Now a week later Hayden has been back to the Dr twice more without any real answers, (she lost a pound in a week) but she is now feeling much better thankfully. What a crazy couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so sorry you girls didn't get to take your vacation. But I'm SO glad Hayden is feeling better (and Sydney too).

AJ's mommy said...

Glad the girls are better... but how scary!